Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Womens Studies and Working.

When it comes down to the truth, I honestly have no idea what I want to do with my life. I have no clue what vocation I want to pursue. I have literally changed my mind at least once a week just since I’ve been at OU. That being said, I have decided I will discuss some of my options right now.

Public Relations- If I decide to get a PR degree, I will use it to represent different large companies and organizations. Gender will play a significant role because some people might think that I am not as influential because I am a woman. It could also help because PR can sometimes be about publicity and it tends to be easier for a woman to get attention. A good course that I could take would be Gender, Politics and Leadership in Politics and Administration. This would be beneficial because it would help me to learn about the politics and types of leadership I could use in the workplace.

Sports Psychology- As a sports psychologist, I will be counseling athletes, and studying the emotional effects physical activity has on people. I’m not sure if gender would play a significant role as a sports psychologist. Women are often found in this profession. The issue I might face would be with salary. Courses that might be useful for me would be Women’s health, Women and Sports, and Body Image Vs. Reality. These would be helpful because they would give me insight on Women and physical activity, and how the emotional effects of body image are an issue.

Lawyer-Being a lawyer would bring quite a few gender role issues. Men are often more respected and receive more power than women. It would be helpful that I am decent at arguing, and I can typically get my point across. A few courses that would help me see if I would like to become a lawyer would be Women and the Law, Gender, Law and Human Rights, and Women and World Politics.

I worked as a gymnastics instructor for four years. I taught boys and girls ranging from the ages of 2 to 13. The main gender issue in gymnastics is that at those ages it is typically a girls sport. In the workplace I also received less pay than the men working there because the boss needed them to stay around. Men were hard to find to work there, and they are needed as spotters.

No comments:

Post a Comment