Personally, I do not consider myself white, but Native American. Even so, some areas of White privilege affect me. I can easily go to the store and find makeup that matches my skin tone. I can go shopping and not worry about being followed, or stereotyped as being someone that would steal.
I am not male, so male privileges do not apply to me.
It is assumed that I come from a wealthy family just because I dress nice, am well kept, attend a D-1 school, etc. Despite popular belief, my family is barely middle class. I receive OHLAP, which is a scholarship that assures I get a proper education. I do get some privileges because it is assumed that I am middle class. People do not automatically assume that I am not wealthy.
“Do not let anyone treat you as if you are unimportant because you are young. Instead be an example to the believers with your word, actions, your love, your faith, and your pure life.”
In some instances young people are looked down upon. People often assume that there is an apathetic attitude about young people, but I believe they are wrong. I think that as a young person I am very privileged because I basically have the whole world within my reach. I can be who I want, do what I want, and chase dreams that no one thought would ever be possible. We are a generation that is going past the norm.
I also am privileged as an able-bodied person. I do not have to worry about whether I have access to get into a building or not. I can drive a car, get a proper job, and not worry about being ridiculed from day to day. I do not have to worry about getting a proper education.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment